It’s designed to confuse you. First come the fists, then come the apologies, promises and loving gestures. You’re told you’re the only one that can help. You’re told this is the last time. You’re told you can’t leave, that they’ll find you. Do you know the signs that you’re in an abusive relationship?
The dangers of staying are very real. This is an emotional show today that is designed to get you to think – and think real hard on what happens next!
On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men. The dangers of staying can be very real. This is an emotional show today that is designed to get you to think – and think real hard on what happens next!
Do you know the general warning signs of domestic abuse?
Does your partner:
- have a bad and unpredictable temper?
- hurt you, or threaten to hurt or kill you?
- threaten to take your children away or harm them?
- threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
- force you to have sex?
People who are being abused may:
- Seem afraid or anxious to please their partner
- Go along with everything their partner says and does
- Check in often with their partner to report where they are and what they’re doing
- Receive frequent, harassing phone calls from their partner
- Talk about their partner’s temper, jealousy, or possessiveness
If you only listen to one of DrBev’s episodes, this is the one.
For more information, visit this episode on America Out Loud.